Importance of the Retina
A healthy retina is essential to clear vision. This thin layer of tissue at the back of your eye is filled with important cells (rods and cones) that receive light and transmit it via your optic nerve to your brain for visual processing. Conditions like macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, macular puckers, epiretinal membranes (ERMs) and other retina diseases threaten your vision because they damage the retina.
When to Call a Doctor
It is advisable to schedule an eye exam any time you experience vision disturbances. This is especially important if you experience any symptoms of a retina problem:
- Blurry vision
- Straight lines appear wavy
- Dark or floating spots
- Trouble seeing things that are at the center of your focus when reading or driving
- Trouble telling colors apart
- Vision loss
At Vision Quest, we are proud to offer our patients a variety of retina disease treatments in Dallas including injections, lasers and surgery. Our options can help halt or slow the progression of diseases to protect your eyesight for as long as possible. Early diagnosis and treatment are directly related to the effectiveness of our treatment options.
- Injections: steroids or anti-VEGF medications can be injected into the gel of the eye (vitreous humor) to reduce the chance of abnormal blood vessel growth as a result of diabetic retinopathy.
- Lasers: photocoagulation laser surgery to seal or destroy leaking or abnormal blood vessels on the retina.
- Surgery: vitrectomy can be performed to remove the vitreous humor and replace it with a saline solution, a gas bubble or silicone oil. This allows temporary access to the retina for the doctor to repair damaged areas.
To learn more about retina treatment options in Dallas, Texas, contact us today to schedule an eye exam.